Friday, August 17, 2007

Utmost Importance

Well, today was my day for the blog fast... which does not mean that I fasted from blogging. It meant that I used today to fast, pray, and read Scripture, and am now blogging about it.

I wasn't completely aware that the point of this fast was to pray about a specific organization, so I went about the last couple of days trying to think about organizations that I feel strongly about that I could support through this experience. I kept coming back over and over in my thoughts to missionaries that I know from back in Washington, and various people I know who are seeking support so that they can fulfill the purpose that God has set apart for them to do.

"But that's silly," I thought. "There's nothing special about that. Every church has missionaries that it supports, or at least can get people in touch with missionaries if they want to support somebody!"

And that's when it hit me. The "organization" that I was seeking was right there: the global mission field.

I read through the first half of the book of Acts today, and was amazed once again with the fervor which which the early Church spread the good news of Jesus' resurrection and atonement for sin... as well as the recipients' intensity in hearing this news, and the utter joy that they expressed upon receiving the Holy Spirit and the knowledge of their justification.

But I was also struck, once again, by the generosity of the early Church. Everybody sold their possessions, and pooled together their resources, distributing wealth where need was felt. I believe that God enabling this abundant generosity was what made the missionaries' work possible.

If we believe that the Gospel is truly good news, and that the spreading of it is of utmost importance, we must not only do our part to obey Jesus' commission, but we must be willing to help support those who have made this end their life's work.

If you are reading this, I would encourage you to not only consider supporting a missionary, not only look at your check book to determine your capabilities, not only discuss the matter with your spouse (I say not only because these things are surely important!)... but to devote time in your daily prayers to intercede for these men and women, and to ask God if He would reveal to you your role in this matter of utmost importance.

No comments: