I gladly grant the honor to those who are preferred to me as eloquent preachers, and I don’t envy them. But they are praised because the common people admire them when they hear them tell clever stories and illustrations and play with words and allegories. They sleep and cough when we preach doctrines - especially the doctrine of justification - but prick up their ears at stories.
Now, no cheating! Just try to guess who might have said this about preaching in the Church... Post your guess as a comment, and I'll give the answer in a few days.
2 comments:
Oh, I don't know, Piper.
By the way, I listened to his talk at ETS and really wanted to hear him engage some of the arguments. He preached, and his preaching can move any heart, but if his last argument (which is what he will be leaving people with) is that the doctrine of Justification by Faith - a doctrinie which I joyfully adhere to - is the only thing that will make missionaries, I have to say that I was hoping for better.
Anyway, I love his ministry but still wish that I was sure that he understood the arguments of those he declares are denying the gospel.
Check out Richard Pratt. You can hear some of his stuff at thirdmillenium.com
Martin Luther - and I agree with you that what he says is very applicable today.
Post a Comment