If we were to remove all of the biblical teaching on caring for the marginalized and the significance of social justice, we would be left with a rather slim book. If we took away the role of stewardship of creation and of cultivating natural resources, Adam and Eve would have been left with very little to do in the Garden. It would be too easy to simply identify Jesus with a political party, to simply put him on the left or on the right. The ethic of the new community demands humble participation, maybe even realizing that the solutions to complex social issues and problems transcends party platforms. The ethic of the new community may demand that - like all things for its members - we recognize that we now see dimly, and not so clearly as those who have put Jesus on the left or on the right would like us to think.
-Stephen J. Nichols, "Jesus: Made in America" (pp. 220-221)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for the encouragement, Elaina! I have to admit that I haven't been posting much at all in the last several months, but hope to start it up again very soon. It's been very encouraging for me to write out my thoughts when I'm studying/meditating/etc., so I would like to get back to it.
Stay tuned. :o)
Post a Comment